Contributors

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

School's out for the summer

Well, for us anyway. We had our last day of classes yesterday. Starting next week, for the next 3 weeks, the students have exams. Most have between 8-13 classes, so basically we have no clue how much we'll be able to see them. I'm praying that we will have more of an opportunity to serve the Japanese staff here, as well as people we know in the community. They're having a big farewell party for us on August 2 (Meg's 22nd bday), then Rob flies out on the 5th, and we head to Tokyo the 7th. We'll spend the night with the rest of the SIJ'ers from other cities, and head to the airport on August 8. Time is such a weird creature. Sometimes it's slower than molasses, but it all catches up to you in the end.


Speaking of time and things catching up to you... Mr. Shin got test results back and praise the Lord, it isn't cancer! I'm not sure if I completely understand due to bad translation of medical terms, but something about there's a hole in his lung, and an infection. He needs to stay in the hospital another 2 weeks (so 4 weeks total) and it will take another month to heal. We know he is saved and would go to a better place, so we're not worried if something happens to him, but more so what his wife is going through. It's tough with bad things happen, but at least in this case we can possibly see why. Sometimes it takes something like this to teach us to just slow down and focus on God.


And that's exactly what I'm learning. Yesterday after class, we met our friends and went to a Fukuoka Hawks (baseball) game. It was so cool! They stand up and use these things that look like bats to do all sorts of cheers and claps and such. About a quarter of the stadium is people in these robe uniforms that look like a part of a cheer squad, playing trumpets and drums and leading cheers and such. It was so exciting! Unfortunately, by the 8th inning I had to call for a ride home because my ankle was throbbing and swelled up pretty badly, the score was 5-3 the Hawks losing. Apparently, there was much excitement after we left and the Hawks won! So fun :D Anyway, with my ankle hurting as much as it still does, I don't think it would be the best idea for me to go to Nagasaki this weekend with everyone :( So, we're trying to figure out what to do with me. I could probably stay with the Shins (Mrs and the 2 kids), or stay in my apartment by myself. There's a girl visiting from Korea that can't go because she can't afford it, so if she still doesn't go then maybe I'll stay with her. Either way, please continue to pray for all these things, and encouragement for everyone. I know we're getting pretty tired, and have no clue what these next 3 weeks will bring.

No comments: