Contributors

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

back to the basics

What do you believe about God? How much control does God have over your life? How and why were you created? Who was Jesus, what did he do? What does that have to do with your life? What will you do from now on?


These, and more, are the questions I had the honor and privilege to explore with a girl named Ai last night. She has been living in Lawrence, Kansas for the past year, studying there. Once she got back, she met us through Kazu (the guy that started reading the Bible this summer and wants to be more like Jesus). Yesterday, she and Meg went to a Judo tournament and then toured around her hometown all day. I, of course, stayed home to rest my ankle and make dinner. After dinner, we watched a little bit of a DVD from her last hip hop dance performance. Near the end, she got a phone call and went into my room to talk on the phone. She saw my new bilingual Bible open to John 5 on my bed, and started reading. She ran back into the room holding my Bible, and asked if she could read it while we were watching the performance. Have you ever had one of those experiences when you're beaming but trying to play it cool? Yeah, that was last night!! At the end of the DVD, we spent the next 3 1/2 hours exploring her questions and religion and history and what we believe. Megumi and I went through general ideas of the Bible, the story of Job, some of the gospels, Paul's story, and some of the reasons we read the Bible. Megumi shared her story and why she believes in and reads the Bible. It was just SUCH an amazing time of growth and exploration. When Megumi had to leave (at midnight!) we stayed up and watched Step Up, and then hit the hay. This morning she left me a little note, saying she really enjoyed reading and talking about the Bible, and she wants to do it again a few more times before I leave. But, she would also like to continue to read with megumi, and maybe even email me questions and chat online sometime :)


God is good. Through thick and thin, God is faithful :D

No comments: